Becoming a mother when you are in your late 30’s or early/mid 40’s is far more the norm today, especially in London and the areas where I work.
So extending your life expectancy or improving your potential for ageing well was something that was bound to catch my eye and make my ears prick up.
Tomorrow I am brainstorming with Paula MacArthur* the Queen of Mastermind groups and the Collector and Connector of Clever People.
I was delighted to be invited to her Kick Ass Dinner last month where one of her guests was the lovely Marisa Peer, sharing her tips on looking and feeling younger.
I first came across Marisa when I saw her “Nine Steps to Mastermind Your Life” and it inspired me to feature it in a post Tell yourself Daily “I’m Enough”.
Having had another birthday last month but in no way able to relate to the age on my birth certificate and the age that I feel (even first thing in the morning if there is no alcohol involved, with alcohol it’s all about the quality … Ruinart works for me ;), I was curious to listen to her top tips and wanted to share them with you.
Please note: Pregnant women and new mummies, the sleep comment can be trickiest to apply but napping to “top up” your sleep quote is something I highly recommend. I can vouch for the trampoline. Adding in little ones to jump all over you adds to the fun!
How to become 10 years Younger & live 16 years longer by Marisa Peer.
• Sleep away from appliances – In the past we had one bedroom socket and bedrooms were very much appliance free zones, now our bedside table is loaded with charging appliances and the EMFs – electro magnetic frequencies – so close to our sleeping bodies can accelerate ageing.
• Sleep with one pillow in a silk pillow case – We tend to have more lines on the right side of our face as that is the side we sleep on. Sleeping with our face pushed into lots of plump pillows creates more wrinkles, which are memories that we pleat into our face as we sleep.
• Take Digestive enzymes if you eat late at night – Your pancreatic enzymes will work overtime digesting food when their night time job is to repair and rejuvenate your cells. This process is always set aside if you have eaten late digestive enzymes help your body digest the food so your body can repair you cells as you sleep.
• Be asleep by 10:00 a few nights a week and almost always by 2.00am as that is when cell repair begins but it is set aside if you stay up after 2.00am and while this is fine occasionally it’s very ageing if you do it too often.
• Trampoline as it stimulates your lymphatic system which is your immune system and because its weightless it is proven to get rid of bags under your eyes.
• Skin Brush your groin, armpits, neck and back of knees and elbows – these are your lymph sites-you have more lymph in your body than you have blood but without a pump. Skin brushing makes you look and feel younger.
• Banish margarine and sweeteners they are so full of toxic chemicals that the body can’t remove and are linked to rapid ageing of the brain and body, which is what some states and countries are banning them.
• Practice neurobics – It means introduce your brain to new things. The brain is brutal with its use it or lose it approach. Do suduko and read your paper on an iPad, brush your teeth and go upstairs using the left hand and the left leg. For right handed people this is the wrong leg and hand and using the wrong one fires off new brain neurons and makes existing ones much stronger which can prevent Alzheimer’s and Dementia.
• Eat Brazil nuts they contain selenium, which reverses ageing. Eat Walnuts as the copper they contain stops hair going grey.
• Add Tumenic to foods it stops the brain shrinking which is a factor in brain ageing.
• Take Omega oils they are called essential oils for a reason as your mind and body cant function well without them.
• Forget to be old -think young thoughts sing, dance, do young things and you will feel and look younger. Our biological age – the age of our organs is influenced by our psychological age- the way we feel. When we do young things we feel younger and send messages to our brain that’s slow down ageing and thus can become younger. This is why girly women like Goldie Hawn, Lulu, Joanna Lumley, Joan Collins and Felicity Kendall look so young.
• Inversion- kneeling down and putting your scalp fully on the floor for just a few minutes boosts blood flow to the scalp this is why Yogis have thick luxurious flowing hair.
• Sex makes you younger. We are the only species that have sex for pleasure but nature assumes we are doing it to procreate even when we have passed that age and as a consequence sex slows down how we age. For women orgasm makes Natural Killer cells that boost longevity and fight ageing related diseases and fight depression too.
• Take these supplements
Ginko biloba – delays all ageing
Selenium – reverses ageing
Co-enzyme Q10 – you are not what you eat you are what you absorb and this vitamin makes your body absorb vitamins from your diet.
• Make sure your daily diet contains eggs, fish, vegetables, olives/olive oil and green salad vegetables as this gives you all the nutrients you need.
• Replace three servings of carbs daily with protein instead such as nuts, seeds, olives, quinoa as this can reduce 50% of age related illnesses.
* Paula MacArthur is the Founder of The Mastermind Agency – THE place to go to connect before and after Kick Ass Dinners – THE events to attend if you’re an ambitious female entrepreneur who is looking for ‘no fluff’ business building advice and support.
I am delighted to be joining her new Head over Heels Mastermind Group because we all need great support and that’s my top tip for looking and feeling younger and enjoying your life!